What does the Training Centre Visitor do?
Penny and her team have a range of functions to promote the safety and wellbeing of children and young people detained in the Kurlana Tapa Youth Justice Centre. These include:
- visiting children and young people to talk to them about their rights, inspecting areas of the centre that are relevant to their care and making inquiries about their care, treatment and control
- conducting formal inspections of the centre
- promoting the rights and best interests of children and young people in the centre
- advocating for the children and young people, to help resolve issues to do with their care, treatment and control
- inquiring into systemic reform that is needed to improve the quality of their care, treatment and control, as well as the management of the centre
- inquiring into and investigating any matter referred by the Minister for Human Services
The Training Centre Visitor is an independent role legislated in the Youth Justice Administration Act 2016 which reports to the Minister for Human Services.