Who is the Child and Young Person’s Visitor?
Penny Wright is the Child and Young Person’s Visitor.
In this role, Penny promotes and protects the rights of children and young people living in residential care in South Australia.
Although the functions and structure of the Child and Young Person’s Visitor have been legislated, the program has not yet formally commenced. We are currently awaiting a final decision as to whether funding and support will enable the establishment of a formal visiting scheme in the future.
What the Child and Young Person’s Visitor will do
Penny and her team will aim to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in residential care. The role has the following functions:
- visiting, and inspecting, residential care facilities
- communicating with children living in residential care facilities
- promoting the best interests of children living in residential care facilities
- advocating for children living in residential care facilities to promote the resolution of issues to do with their care, treatment and control
- inquiring into and provide advice to the Minister for Child Protection in relation to any systemic reform needed to improve the care, treatment and control of children and young people or the management of residential care facilities