The Guardian’s report Children and Young People in State Care in South Australian Government Schools 2007-2014 tracks trends in school enrolment, attendance and literacy/numeracy of children in care in government schools.
The 2014 Report draws attention to the need to address:
- Speech and language delays of children before, and on entering, school
- Alternative disciplinary measures to suspension from school – particularly for younger children.
- Monitoring hours of attendance at school so that part-day absences are minimised.
- Investigation of the reasons for the high rates of exemption from NAPLAN tests.
- Narrowing the gap between students in care and their age peers in literacy and numeracy abilities.